working wednesday

I can put it off no longer. I have been given the honour of representing my area of the Quilters Guild of the British Isles, for the "In the Spotlight" exhibition which is run every other year at the Festival of Quilts.

I have had lots and lots of ideas running through my head and I have made a few sketches, but I realise that I can put it off no longer and need to get down to some serious work.

I am playing it safe, as this will be the first time I have put something into a major show and feel a bit apprehensive. I won't be experimenting with a new style and on this occasion will stick with what I know.


With that in mind I have been going through some of the samples that I produced for City and Guilds about 5 years ago, and thought I would share some of them with you.

My inspiration was obviously the Heritage Coast where I live. I spent a lot of time looking at pebbles, rocks and strata, eventually producing this piece here. 


These three samples are different types of applique, and looking at them I see that it was here that my love of hand painted fabrics began. They seem pretty basic and I'd like to think that I have improved since then but it is also good to find some things that had been forgotten about and to see how they can inspire now.


These pieces are pretty much stuck to the info card that I attached them to with double sided sticky tape so I have left them be.

Now the theme/title of the exhibition is "The Romance of Words" chosen because 2011 will be the 200 year anniversary of the publication of Sense and Sensibility.

So what does that have to do with rocks and strata and pebbles. All will be revealed over time, and there will be lots more to share on this topic.

Comments

  1. Oh how exciting, and daunting! I look forward to seeing how it progresses. Keep us up to date. Well done

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do try to respond to each one but
if you do not hear from me it is probably because you are a "no reply blogger".

Popular Posts